Monday, March 5, 2012

Teaching children how to pray...

Fr Tim Finigan gives a lovely answer to a a mother who asks how she should teach her child how to pray.
The place to start is with your own prayers. There are many good prayer books that will help you to say some simple morning and night prayers so that you are used to spending a little time with Our Lord each day. You can also spend some quiet moments thinking about the truths of the faith (again there are some quite simple summaries available in many prayer books) and then asking Our Lord in your own words how to live well as a Catholic.
[snip]
As soon as your child is able to walk and talk a little, that would be the time to kneel down and say some simple prayers, especially at bedtime. You can say prayers at your own choice; there are many good children’s prayer books that can help. It is also good if you say some traditional prayers such as the Our Father and the Hail Mary, and perhaps the Act of Contrition and the Prayer to the Guardian Angel. It doesn’t matter that your child doesn’t understand them fully as yet – he will start at school knowing these familiar prayers and will understand them better as he gets older.
 It's quite a common - and heart-breaking - thing these days for children to arrive into primary school aged 4 or 5 unable to bless themselves or not knowing the basic prayers such as the Our Father or the Hail Mary. I'm fortunate that the Primary School teachers in my parish schools are excellent and pray with the children throughout the day, but unless the habit of prayer is learned in the home, I fear that it will be something ultimately foreign to these children.
I know that when I was growing up, bedtime prayers were the most natural thing in the world and a regular part of the daily routine.  Prayer was as much a part of life as eating or breathing or brushing one's teeth. And that's as it should be. However, that tradition or habit seems to have been broken in most households these days.  I sometimes wonder how that came to happen - how people who had learned to pray from their parents didn't pass on the same habits to their children.  I suppose the most obvious answer is that they themselves had stopped praying, and therefore it wasn't part of their home-life when they had children. However, parents also want their children to grow up knowing God and receiving the sacraments, so they're not totally disengaged from a life of faith either.
I like that Fr Tim is so encouraging in his answer.  Personally, I try to be encouraging as well when preparing couples for the baptism of their children. I remind them that one of the final blessings of the Baptism ceremony contains the prayer that they should be the first and the best of teachers of the faith in their children's lives. It's important for parents to realise that Church teaching and practice empowers parents and encourages them in their roles as parents. They are told clearly that they have an irreplaceable role and importance in their children's lives and that they themselves have the right and duty to pass on the best of values and a belief in God to their children. So many other influences in society seem to take away or minimise the parents' role. Children's television and the media in general do not affirm or encourage parenthood. The cult of youth puts out the message that the next generation should be free to make their own mistakes, and by the time children reach their early teens, I get the impression that most parents simply no longer know how or have the confidence to be parents to their own children. Maybe I'm naive, but I genuinely think that the Church can do some good by being more forthright in encouraging and supporting parents to be parents when children are young.
I also love the fact that Fr Finigan encourages this mother to pray with her unborn child. When I'm going through the baptism ceremony with parents in our preparatory class, I tell them that making the sign of the cross on their child's forehead should remind them as parents they can always bestow a blessing on their children. They can also make a point of praying with their children, even before the child knows what prayer is. I was chuffed to bits to discover that one of the first words learned by the first-born of a dear friend was "amen!"  Tús maith, leath na hoibre!

2 comments:

Caroline said...

My daughter started as a pupil at our local parish primary school this year. In September they had Mass in the parish Church, which is only a few hundred yards from the school. My daughter came home, and told me that none of the other children in her class had ever been in our church before. Incredible!

We need to pray with our children often. We pray in the morning on the way to school, before every meal, and before bed. Our children also need to see us praying! Boys especially need to see their fathers pray.

I think you are right about parents being afraid to parent their children. Parents seem unwilling and unable to say no. I have a 12 year old son, and significant number of his peers have facebook accounts, and play violent video games, that are certified for over 18's. It does make life difficult, as we seem to be the only strict parents around. I know their are others out there, but I have not managed to meet many of them. I have lately been quite dismayed, as other seemingly "strong" parents around me have caved.

I know that I can control what goes on in my home, but I can not ban my child from every house where he will have access to this stuff, as he will have no where left to go? Our children deserve better than this!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Bedtime prayers were very natural when I was growing up, too--and my half-Spanish grandmother, in particular, was so determined that my cousins and I would learn to pray the way she had learned to pray, that she taught us a prayer to Jesusito that we never actually understood (until we all learned some Spanish grammar many years later) but can still recite to this day.

Jesusito de mi vida,
Yo soy nino como tu.
Por eso te quiero tanto,
y ti doy mi corazon.


I have no idea if I even spelled the words properly!